Monday, April 18, 2005

PhD

A good friend of mine just finished her PhD defense today in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences. She did brilliantly of course. Her command of the science is a good as anybodies in that room. She may not be as experienced as many of the professors, but she has the raw ability.
I always wonder about myself. I stopped at a Master's degree. At the time, and now really, I decided I wasn't quite passionate enough about the field to go for a PhD. I see some of my friends who have lingered for many years, trying to focus their ideas and their research. I think it's ok to be a bit lost and find your way. In many ways, that's the point of the degree: to show independent thought. I'm just not sure I want to be in that floating state at this point. I'm not committed enough to spend the late nights at the office. I'm not ready to have to stand up in front of faculty and defend my ideas. I'm not ready to be poor again.
So, although I love doing science, and I learn more about it every day, I'm just not at the point where I have to prove my own independence. Can I do it? Probably. Given a push, I think I can work through almost anything. So, perhaps part of holding back is fear. But the other part of it is lack of desire. I think the degree works much better if you've got some passion in it.
I'm just not there yet.
For now, I'll just celebrate with my friend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Randa said...

You don't have to have a PhD to show independent thought. Be inquisitive on a daily basis, and learn whatever your mind can suck in on a daily basis. If you really want to go back to school, you will -- and that would be great. If you are happy with the way you approach life and learning now and as time goes on -- that's great too. I didn't finish my Eng. Lit degree. I married a man I met at university; we have two amazing children who are now teenagers. I may go back to school and get my degree when the kids have left home; that idea appeals to me in many respects. But on other levels it does not. I will need to decide WHY I would want to do it, and make sure it suits my personal needs. I sure wouldn't choose to do it because I think I 'should'.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

I didn't mean to imply you couldn't have independant thought w/o a PhD. It's just that you should have to show it in order to earn a PhD. I completly agree that if and when you are ready to get it, you'll get it. And, understanding why you want it is very important. It's hard to fake your way through.
Thanks for the post

11:36 PM  
Blogger Plantation said...

I have zero desire to advance in my profession. Yet, I'm studying for additional professional certification. Why? I have no idea...

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home