Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Memories

It's interesting how time can sometimes deepen memories. Why do I mean by this? Well, I moved out of my "young" childhood home when I was about 12 into the house that my parents currently live. I have some of the richest memories of that first house. I remember the bar we had downstairs where my grandparents used to entertain some friends when they would watch us for a few days. I remember rolling on my roller skates around the basement, entertaining myself for hours before dinner. Or even that first Atari where I would spend endless weekends playing games (we were only allowed to rent games on weekends).
I remember our narrow hallway, where my sister and I used to close all the doors and randomly bounce superballs (remember those) back and forth along the walls. We also had a living room sofa with just enough space to crawl behind for a really bad hiding space when playing hide and seek. Our kitchen had been remodeled before I was born, so it was laid out quite well unlike most kitchens that my mom would say "are made by men".
The street I lived on during those early years was also wonderful. There were about 5 families with children within about 4 years of me (both older and younger). We'd have involved games of chase, hide and seek, kick-ball and soccer until the sun had just gone down.

All of these memories are vague, but powerful. They are almost unreal: it's hard to believe that I actually lived them. To see that old house again would be hard to handle for some reason. To be back in that neighborhood would be very unreal. But I hope I don't forget those simple memories. They are a place and a time that will never happen again, except in my mind.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

What an amazing coincidence. I just wrote about memory (and memories) on my own blog... A memorable connection!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Randa said...

Must be the time of year...I wrote about memories of playing games at dusk with neighbourhood friends too, just a couple of days previous to this post. I think it was the smell of dusk that brought those memories back for me that evening...

11:13 AM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

It must be the changing seasons. For some reason I always feel more nostalgic around the spring and fall.
It's a good feeling

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you think its funny what events we remember? For instance, when I was little we had a natural spring in the backyard. My brother and I used to pull out leaves and pretend they were fish. One day I fell in, and got wet up to my waist..I have this very strong memory of running inside in my underwear (after taking off the wet clothes) to talk to my dad on the phone. Hello? whats my brain doing wasting space with that ?

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home