Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Thoughts on the Seasons

We had our first real break of warm weather in Madison these past few days. It was nearly 70 today and just beautiful to be outside. Of course, everyone loves it when the weather breaks. People linger in the streets a little longer. You walk instead of drive that extra five minutes. You sit outside in the cafe, rather than take that table by the door. And of course, you wear slightly less clothing for the first time all year.
It's the first time in three years I've experienced a real winter. Although winter in England is miserable, it rarely gets below freezing. It's dreary, dark, and damp, but rarely too cold.
In Madison winters, we'd often see bright sunny days that would bring the temperature to a toasty warm 3 degress Farenheit. I was, however, able to bring out my skis and go cross country skiing a few times this winter. I can't think of a better way to exercise.
But now, winter is a quickly fading memory. I've started to run outside. I love to walk, and strolling through town in the late evening sun with a light jacket is an incredible feeling. I see people with ice cream cones and I'm tempted. I think to past summers, sitting outside our Union terrace, drinking beer and staring out over the lake. I think back to the late English summers, when 8pm meant two more hours of sunshine. Spring and Summer are about being outside.
I'd never trade the changing seasons for anything. I love experiencing both the cold and the warm. But for now, I'm ready for Spring.

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Your Spring sounds lovely. We don't really have anything like that here, it's either hot (Summer) or rainy (Winter). I could go for warm with sunshine but not too hot for a while. :-)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Plantation said...

Enjoy it man, I'm spoiled down her in Fla.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

Plantation,
You guys get forest fires, droughts, floods,tornadoes, and hurricanes. I'll take a little cold anyday!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Plantation said...

guess it's pick your poison, huh?
PS Tks for linking me.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home