Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Superbowl and the rest of the world

Ah superbowl Sunday. One of the many American "holidays" of food, sports, and booze. If you went out shopping during the game, the traffic would be non-existent, and you could easily get the best seat at the movies.
When I was in England of course, very few people understood it. I did have a family that I was friends with, that was a bit of an Americaphile, so they had a superbowl party. It's not quite the same watching the game at 11 o'clock at night, with a few rugby commentators and one ex-nfl player. And, there were no commercials? What's the point of a superbowl without the commercials?
But, during the European football (soccer) championships, while England was still a competitor, we had two or three days of food/beer gatherings. Emotions were high as the English rooted for England, and the Scots and Welsh supported whoever was playing England. What fun!
And how about the Rugby world cup. How many of you knew there WAS a rugby world cup? The final was England versus Australia with the game in Australia. When the game ended, it was about noon in England, with the English victorious. I wandered from my apartment into town, and had to dodge a drunken supporter pouring out of a bar and throwing up on the street. At noon!
In the US they probably would have taped it to show it at prime time so they can sell commercials, but that's an entirely different blog.
I just find it amazing that some things can be so absorbing to a given country/culture, and completely lost on another. Oh well, enjoy the game!

1 Comments:

Blogger (S)wine said...

Hey, Rugby is tops. I used to watch in Romania. Love it!
I,too, went out during the game last night.

Cheers to you, my friend!

lx

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home