Saturday, February 05, 2005

Blog dump

So it's been a while since I've written. I feel almost guilty. I don't really know how many people stop by here to see if I've updated, but I figure if they do long enough, and I haven't, they'll of course stop reading. Well hopefully the dry spells won't last too long, and the 3 readers that I have won't stop stopping by.
I could of course make up lots of excuses. I've been too busy. My cat keeps sitting on the keyboard while I'm trying to write. The network is down. I was kidnapped by space aliens who removed by ability to write complete sentences. Etc..Etc.
But, I suppose it's more a question of laziness. Sometimes when I come home from whatever after work activity I've been at, I'm just not in the mood to sit down and put some thoughts on the screen. Once I actually do it, it's a bit cathartic, and of course it doesn't really take that long to do a rough blog. If I'm actually trying to say something intelligent, that's an entirely different question, but sometimes it's fun just to do a brain dump (like this post) and sorta see where it goes.
If it's completely unintelligible, then such is life. So, out of curiosity, how do the various people who happen to pop by my site do their blogs? Do they just write, run the spell check (maybe), and go? Do you think about your post, write it on paper, and edit many times before you post?
I'm curious about the basic writing process for many of you for the various bloggers. Is this a brain dump, or a carefully planned exercise in thought. Thanks, and may the blogs continue...

8 Comments:

Blogger Plantation said...

For me GG, ideas just pop into my head. I usually capture them in Word. Write it in word, spell check (most times), then cut/paste. I'll post it and then read it editorially and then edit it once for errors or link problems. I have a general game plan though. I know the storylines I want to talk about and I know I want to weave them in and out of the blog. Rarely do I brain dump, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just don't write just to dump. Hell, I'm probably the *worst* person to ask. Have only been doing this since late November. OK? Good luck, man.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hmmm.... I'm what you might call a "point in time" blogger. I write about what's on my mind at a particular moment in time. Most of the time, I sit down, tap it out on the keyboard, and post it... generally without giving it much thought at all. So I guess I fall in the brain dump category.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Hey Gatsby,
I think I just write what's on my mind. Sometimes I get an idea and make a note to blog it. Othertimes I write in my blog something that was triggered from another blog. As you can tell lately, many of my blogs are either what's going through my head at that moment, or reflections on teaching. Bottom line, I don't prewrite, I don't run spellcheck, I just use it as a place to "journal" if you will.

Simply G, there is no sience to it. Like I tell my students when they get writer's block, I tell them, stop thinking so much and just write, you just might surpise yourself!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

Thanks your comments. It's interesting to see different styles, but not really surpising. The blog is different things for different people. Oh well, onward and blogward

12:08 PM  
Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

The short answer to your question is yes. I do write, rewrite, edit pieces before I post them. Those are the more thoughtful ones. Then there are the ones I just throw together and post. Those tend to be the more Kabbalah-oriented, or other celeb news-oriented pieces--they don't require that much thought for me, so I just do 'em and post 'em.

But you probably knew that already. Blogs are different things to different people. You've got to find your own style and approach.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

Gatsby, I tend to be inspired by things as simple as word or a title. I make a note of it - have notebook will travel. I prefer to write my blogs out on paper, re-reading and editting there before I post. If you visit me @pointmeister, you will see I have a wide range of ideas I throw out there. Blogspot gave the stage to act them out. Keep up the good work on your work.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Plantation said...

btw, i referenced you today...

11:36 PM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

Thanks for the publicity! I can feel the fame and fortune rolling in.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home