Sunday, January 08, 2006

TV sell out

I've finally done it.
I'm selling out to the man.
I'm getting a TV set.
I had decided when I moved into my apartment that I didn't want to buy a TV. Why did I need it? I haven't watched TV much when I have had one. I can certainty find better things to do with my time. There is also a certain pride in knowing that you're one of the few people that don't own one. I get my news from online newspapers and NPR. I can listen to music online or from CD's. I can watch movies on my DVD player. I can even watch TV shows on my DVD player. What's the point?
The truth is, TV isn't all bad. I was riveted by the DVD's of "Freaks and Geeks". Of course, the show was cancelled after a season, but it was still made and shown on TV. Arrested development has also grabbed my attention. Of course, that one has also been cancelled. But, it's still fun to watch. Then of course, there is the Daily Show. It's still a personal favorite of mine, even if I don't see it very much. Near the election I'd pop up to the gym upstairs in my apartment and catch the periodic episodes. It still makes me laugh.
I am not a TV addict. I've lived with them, many times. Whenever an alternative activity presented itself I would take it. I remember coming and going unnoticed by housemates who had their eyes glued to a mini-series on the history channel. Or, I'd pop in and sit down to my housemate watching something like "Home gardening on the space shuttle". When I asked him, quite plainly, why he was watching it, he'd respond with "There is nothing else on." The big red off button must have missed each attention.
But now, my parents are offering up their old set. I'm going to take it. I imagine I'll still get news from NPR and online (TV news is dreadful). I'll still listen to music and read. I still have to watch DVD's on my computer (no DVD player). And I'll still be addicted to NPR.
But, I'll also get to watch simpsons's reruns. I'll grab the occasional watchable network show. I'll even be able to watch political debates, news events, and the occasional riveting documentary on Space Shuttle Gardening that happens to be on PBS.
Unless my addiction has grown. In which case, I suppose you won't see many more posts.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My off button is silver, or black, depending on the set. On the remote the off button is grey. I don't think off buttons are red unless it's on a piece of machinery that requires an emergency off. They would be distracting.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

See how long it's been since I've had a tv.
Thanks for your thoughts 'anon

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It hasn't been that long... You've only lived by yourself for a few years now and you do associate with other human type life forms in their homes, which contain television sets.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home