Sunday, September 25, 2005

England

I arrived, quite bleary eyed and sore from the long flight across the Atlantic Ocean. It was cool, rainy, and a bit dreary as I stepped out of Heatherow airport. It was a little more than two years ago that I faced England for the first time. I had accepted a visiting scientist program at the UK Met Office, and was planning to live abroad for the first time in my life.
I was nervous, tired, cranky, but very excited. I arrived at my temporary accommodation, and settled in for a short nap, bundling up to stay warm in the house that was just slightly chilly. The landlady then kindly took me to the supermarket and to a bank, and then made dinner for myself and a friend of hers. It was the only time I had a meal with her, but the gesture helped melt away my homesickness, and I never looked back.
I love the UK. I lived there for two years and miss it very much.
Now, two years later I returned to a similarly dreary day. I stumbled, in a jet-lagged fashion through the Tower of London, and then nearly got hit by about 12 buses in central London. I was wet, tired, and loving every minute of it.
My trip was wonderful. I spent two nights in Reading, where I spent my first year in the UK. Reading is a bit of a commuter hub of London, being only 30 minutes by train. It's filled with young professionals, families, and some university students. It's quite international, and although it's not filled with character, it's quite a comfortable place to live.
I then headed west toward Exeter, where I spent two years. Here, I visited my old Met Office and synagogue friends. Exeter is sort of the "capital" of the more rural and scenic west country. It's close to Dartmoor (of Hound of the Baskervilles fame) and Exmoor. It's also a 20 minute drive from the coast. It's very English, although becoming more mixed as more and more ex-London businesses are moving out there. It's an ancient city, with history dating back to the Celts and the Romans. I loved it as well.
I spent time catching up with friends, wandering around Exeter, eating Indian and pub food, and having a beer or two.
Four of us then spent two days in Cornwall (the county to the West of Exeter), wandering the cliffs and countryside and visiting quaint little coastal towns. I love walking in the UK. You can walk from village to village, wandering up and down cliffs, through farms, around cows, and of course, to and from pubs. In the states, you have the very spectacular national parks, but you are far from towns, and they often involve camping and serious outdoor skills. In Britain, hiking is quite accessible, with beautiful views and breathtaking coastline. Go and walk some of it, if you haven't yet.
It was a great trip. It was just as difficult to leave the UK this time as it was the first time. But, I know I can always go back and their will be more to explore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time! I've always wanted to go to England, but haven't yet. I would love to go to Liverpool (natch), London and Bath (I'm a Jane Austen freak).

8:40 AM  
Blogger Plantation said...

Sounds like a great time. I'm dying to leave the country and explore new lands.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home