Monday, February 28, 2005

Brits and Americans II: How I view them

As a whole, I loved the British. The friends I made in the UK were terrific, and I hope many of them will remain lifelong friends. Perhaps any comment I make beyond that will bleed toward stereotype, but I'm going to try. Keep in mind that what I say is by it's nature a generality, and there are probably a thousand exceptions to any statement I make.
The Brits generally believe Americans have no understanding of irony, and when I say that, I mean their sense of irony. British humor tends to be understated and subtle. Consequently, it can be difficult to tell when people are "winding you up" as they would say. Once you get to know someone, it's pretty easy to detect, but I think the British excel at doing it off the cuff to strangers. Americans (including myself) can get a bit frazzeled by it at first. I was told by a stranger at a nightclub that Jewish Americans tended to be exceptions to the "lack of irony" stereotype, but I wouldn't make that claim myself.
I remember making a phone call to the cinema to ask if I'd have any trouble getting tickets for a movie, as I was afraid they'd sell out. The man on the phone replied, without missing a beat, that "I might get in an accident or something on the way over" but otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem. I loved every minute of it, particularly when I could fool my friends the same way.
One of the other British passions is that of the drink. Yes, this is a stereotype, and there are plenty of exceptions. But as a general rule, their social life revolved around finding a good pint at the pub. A night out often meant having 5 or 6 pints and grabbing a quick meal on your way between pubs. It's not that a good meal wasn't appreciated, or that it was a requirement to get drunk, it was just the general focus of a night out, even among the late 20's early 30's crowd. With Americans, it is socially acceptable, and often encouraged to be a drunk college student, or even a drunk early 20 year old, but as you approach 30 it isn't quite as well looked upon.
There are plenty of other generalities that can be drawn upon: The stiff upper lip (in my experienced sometimes true), the passion for tea (true for many, but by no means all), and their bad food (not true at all). Their weather was amazing: it would rarely drop below freezing or get anywhere near 90 F, but the weather would change 30 times over the course of a day. Consequently, nothing kept you from doing things outside. I did a walk in Dartmore in 50 knot winds. Like everyone else I suppose, they were funny, serious, passionate, reserved, sarcastic, idealistic, generous, and of course complex. The two years I spent in the UK were amazing, and I hope to return again and again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home