Saturday, December 11, 2004

My first Nativity, a Jewish perspective

So I was a very good jew last night. I went to watch a few of my friends sing in a choir.
It was a church choir. The second half of the concert was a nativity play. Like I said, a very good jew.
I had never been to a nativity play so I wasn't really sure what to expect. However, it was certaintly moving. The play was quite simple. It had very little dialogue, with the "narration" being sung movingly by the choir.
So why am I writing about this? Is there any grand lesson to be learned by seeing this very Christian of rituals? Have I any plans of converting?
Well to the last question, absolutely not. I'm very proud of being Jewish, and it is certaintly part of who I am. As to the lesson, perhaps it's just about keeping an open mind.
I grew up a reform Jew, and felt that I was taught to resent some of the more observant denominations of Judaism. After I spent a year in the UK involved in an orthodox synagogue, I really could appreciate it what was appealing about the orthodox lifestyle. Was I planning on changing? No! But, I was no longer afraid of denominations that were different or people who lived their lives differently than myself.
Perhaps it's the same thing here. After seeing this simple, beautiful play, I could least appreciate, at it's core, what was appealing about Christianity. Seeing a re-enactment of a story so fundamental to what Christains believe, presented with such honesty and simplicity, was beautiful. It represented charity, faith, and of course love. Even if it is just the simple love of parent for their child, rather than that of God through the birth of his son, as Christians believe.
It also made me long for the simple beauty of lighting the Chanukah menorah, and sharing that with family and friends, something I haven't been able to do this year.
They choir director talked about opening your heart to love. That's an idea that certaintly isn't foreign to Judaism. Any act of kindness, an act of charity, a move to make the world a better place, is in a way opening your heart. It's certaintly a lesson that all of the world can learn, be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddist, or Athiest.

2 Comments:

Blogger Plantation said...

GG,

Been to many many of these having married a Catholic girl. Some are intense, some are finatical, some are more down-to-earth (my faves). My faves happen to be the kids session.

It's interesting to note how the so-called beauty of love, faith, forgiveness are all thrown by the wayside when divorce comes into play. My ex's father, an extremely religious Catholic, now hates me and hasn't contacted me since I left. And he's a divorced father. Heck, his daughter and I grew apart and, for this, he can't forgive me?

I hope he is not representative of 'their' faith. One thing's for sure. I'm sticking to my Jewish faith next time, if indeed there IS a next time...

5:56 PM  
Blogger Gatsby said...

Of course the main issue is the selected application of being "extreme". Religions invariable have contradictions, as they are a human creation. So, you have the commandment of forgiveness versus the ban against marriage. It's generally easier to hate or resent, particularly when the target is an ex-inlaw: it's easier to overlook the good things.
Judaism is better than most religions at being pragmatic. There are about 1,000 exceptions to every rule, and a lot of the debate in modern Judaism are in applying these exceptions.
I'm sorry that you had to feel the hate so directly.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home